Monday, June 3, 2013

Give........

Growing up I was raised by the most giving parents.  They have always sacrificed for others.   Not only was my dad a preacher, but he was also a policeman.  You may think " boy she had it hard", but I wouldn't trade it for anything.  At the police department my dad ran Toys from Santa (originally we called it Toys for Tots).  I loved it!!  It taught me at a very young age that we should help those less fortunate than ourselves.  I remember one year when we had just finished giving out toys for the year.  I think it was Christmas Eve.  Anyway as we were walking out the door there was a lady outside.  She approached us and said, "Am I too late?  If you could just spare a few toys so my children could have a little something I would appreciate it.  I am so sorry I am late!  Please".  You see doing this type of thing you do run into some that are ungrateful, but then when you meet someone like this sweet lady and it makes it all worth it!!  As we stood in the parking lot my dad and I looked at each other (with a huge smile) and he said "Come in and we will see what we can do."  She sat out front and my dad and I went to the back.  We decided to load her up!!  We packed 3 or 4 (I cant exactly remember large black garbage bags full of toys and she didn't know it, but we happened to have some bicycles left.  That is very rare, because most of the time they are all gone (I believe God saved them for her:)).  When we brought the bags of toys out she began sobbing.  Then we said we have one more thing and we brought out the bicycles.  She cried and we cried and it was one of the BEST Christmas memories I have.  She didn't have a very big car, but the Lord made it big enough to hold everything.  We had already decided if it didn't fit we would take it wherever she needed us to!   I don't remember her name, but she was such a blessing!!
My mom has a Beauty Shop in Alabama City.  She had some beautiful white rocking chairs on the front porch.  About a year ago as she was opening her shop she noticed that someone had stolen the rocking chairs.  Instead of getting angry I remember her saying "Well I guess they needed them more than I did."  If you know my mother at all you would know that all they had to do was ask her for them and she would have given them to them. 
I have so many of these stories about my wonderful parents!  I wouldn't trade these memories for anything.  The next time you see someone on the side of the road with a card board sign, instead of questioning there motives give them something.  Whether it be food, gas, money etc.....I promise you will receive a blessing!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...